It wouldn't be the start of the silly season without our Annual Trivia Night Fundraiser! This month we invited members and supporters to join us for a night of fun and frivolity, and what a night we had!Read more
NATURE: THE WONDER AND THE TRAGEDY
To be a nature-lover has come to mean living out a tragic love story. How do we balance the overwhelming wonderment of our natural world with the heartache of its immense suffering?
NQCC's biennial Postcard Art fundraiser is back! On show at Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts from Friday 10th September 6pm, all postcard-sized artworks will be auctioned off at the end of the exhibition 9th October 6pm, with all funds supporting our work here in North Queensland!
About the exhibition
Every two years, artists from North Queensland and all around the country (and overseas) support North Queensland Conservation Council by donating a small artwork to our exhibition. Using a postcard as a size guide, these artworks include paintings, sketches, photographs and prints, as well as small 3-dimensional artworks. This year we are so grateful to have received over 125 artworks from some incredible artist, so make sure you drop into Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts or if you can't make it in, you can now also view all 125 artworks via our online Gallery.
About the Auction
An auction will be held at the end of the exhibition 9th October 6pm at Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts. All artworks will be auctioned off to the highest bidder, with all proceeds supporting the work of North Queensland Conservation Council. Please RSVP via our event page
If you cannot make it to the auction,you can place a proxy bid at any time during the exhibition, please ensure you copy the following details and send them to Tiff at [email protected]
Your first and last Name:
Number of artwork:
(These details above can be found directly underneath the artwork)
Maximum Proxy Bid amount:
Let us know if you would like to donate if your bid falls through and we will be in touch after the auction.
Once we have received all of these details we will contact you to confirm that we have received them.
Please contact Tiff with any queries.
Email: [email protected]
Ph: 0428 987 535
- Sign up as a volunteer to assist with volunteering at our art auction.
- Help us to spread the word. Let your artistic friends know about our exhibition and encourage your art-loving or nature-loving friends to place a bid on their favourite artwork.
Throughout February and March, eight courageous teams have been fundraising for our campaign to protect North Queensland's river systems. Our Swim for Our Rivers fundraiser (inspired and supported by Mackay Conservation Group), cumulated in a Pool Party at Kokoda Memorial Pool on Saturday 20 March, where our fundraising teams were challenged and rewarded for their fundraising efforts!Read more
Media Release: 22/03/2021
Burdekin River Sustainability in focus on World Water Day
- North Queensland’s Burdekin River system is one of Australia’s most important, and supports:
- Internationally important wetlands, which are breeding grounds for native species,
- Productive agricultural areas, and
- Important cultural sites to First Nations groups and the wider North Queensland community.
- NQCC is working alongside experts, stakeholders and policy makers to explore integrated, innovative approaches for improved ecological and economic outcomes for the region.
- The Swim for Our Rivers fundraiser has raised almost $6,000 towards this work.
22 March is World Water Day, which provides an opportunity to reflect on what the future holds for the mighty Burdekin River – one of Australia’s most important river systems. According to eminent scientist John Williams, if urgent action is not taken, the Burdekin River could follow the same path to degradation as the Murray-Darling. With four dams proposed, it appears that its plight is heavily misunderstood.Read more
NQCC's biennial Postcard Art fundraiser is back! On show at Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts from 10th September, all postcard-sized artworks will be auctioned off at the end of the exhibition, Oct 9th 6pm, 2021 with all funds supporting our work here in North Queensland!Read more
In 2021, we're ready to put some real pressure on policy-makers to protect North Queensland's rivers, including the iconic Burdekin River.
To kickstart this campaign, we need your help to raise some funds! We are asking our supporters to join a fundraising team and ask your friends and family to donate via our Chuffed.org page. Then, to wrap it all up, your team will participate in a whimsical swim-a-thon on Saturday 20 March at Kokoda Memorial Pool in Mundingburra.
Undecided about starting a team? Not sure what's involved? We've answered some frequently asked questions below.
How many people should be on my team?
- 3-5 people is the ideal team size for the swim-a-thon, but there is no limit to how many people can help you fundraise!
How much money is my team expected to fundraise?
- We'd love to see each team raise $1,000 for the cause - which is just $250 each for a four-person team! Don't underestimate how much your friends and family will support a cause when they see that it is close to your heart.
Where do I sign up my team and do I need to lock in a team name when I sign up?
- You can sign up your team here. It takes less than a minute (once you've chosen a quirky profile photo and team name!). You can change your photo or team name at any time, so don't let that elusive perfect name hold you back from getting your fundraising started!
Can I show my support without joining a team?
- You can still support our fundraiser by making a donation to one of our fundraising teams. To increase your impact you can also share the link to our chuffed page with your networks and encourage others to donate too! Spectators are also welcome to come along to the event and cheer on our participants on the day!
Where and when is the Swim-a-thon?
- We have booked out the whole space at Kokoda Memorial Pool in Mundingburra, from 1pm on Saturday 20 March.
Do I have to be a strong swimmer?
- No! Bring along whatever personal flotation devices you like. You won't be forced to swim laps or suffer. Fundraising should be fun!
What kind of aquatic activities can I expect on the day?
- There will be team challenges and games. If there's a particular challenge or game you'd like to see on the day, get in touch with your suggestions!
Can't see your question? Comment below or email Crystal at [email protected] to find your answer!
In March this year, we are joining Mackay Conservation Group's "Swim for Our Rivers" fundraiser, to kickstart the next phase of our campaign to protect the future of the iconic Burdekin.
You are invited to register a team and help us fundraise in the lead up to our exciting Swim-A-Thon on Saturday 20 March at Mundingburra's Kokoda Memorial Pool! Got questions? Check out our FAQ page!Read more
2020 may be remembered for a lot of bad things, but if there is one memory that sparks joy and laughter when we look back on this time, we hope it is our infamous Annual Fundraising Trivia Night!Read more
On Friday the 21st of June, NQCC celebrated our biennial Fundraising Postcard Art Auction for 2019!
Approximately fifty art/environment lovers attended the event at Umbrella Studio (Townsville City), where each of the seventy works generously donated by artists from near and far were auctioned off for prices ranging from $10 to $105. The pieces were postcard-sized (though some were a little larger) and environment-themed. This event saw our five-week long exhibition, titled "Insights Into Our Environment" come to an end. Luckily for you, the artworks are still available to peruse in our online gallery.Read more
Sweet Country is the first of our new series of monthly movies. Click on the link for more information.