It wouldn't be the start of the silly season without our Annual Trivia Night Fundraiser! This month we invited members and supporters to join us for a night of fun and frivolity, and what a night we had!Read more
Throughout February and March, eight courageous teams have been fundraising for our campaign to protect North Queensland's river systems. Our Swim for Our Rivers fundraiser (inspired and supported by Mackay Conservation Group), cumulated in a Pool Party at Kokoda Memorial Pool on Saturday 20 March, where our fundraising teams were challenged and rewarded for their fundraising efforts!Read more
Media Release: 22/03/2021
Burdekin River Sustainability in focus on World Water Day
- North Queensland’s Burdekin River system is one of Australia’s most important, and supports:
- Internationally important wetlands, which are breeding grounds for native species,
- Productive agricultural areas, and
- Important cultural sites to First Nations groups and the wider North Queensland community.
- NQCC is working alongside experts, stakeholders and policy makers to explore integrated, innovative approaches for improved ecological and economic outcomes for the region.
- The Swim for Our Rivers fundraiser has raised almost $6,000 towards this work.
22 March is World Water Day, which provides an opportunity to reflect on what the future holds for the mighty Burdekin River – one of Australia’s most important river systems. According to eminent scientist John Williams, if urgent action is not taken, the Burdekin River could follow the same path to degradation as the Murray-Darling. With four dams proposed, it appears that its plight is heavily misunderstood.Read more
NQCC's biennial Postcard Art fundraiser is back! On show at Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts from 10th September, all postcard-sized artworks will be auctioned off at the end of the exhibition, Oct 9th 6pm, 2021 with all funds supporting our work here in North Queensland!Read more
In 2021, we're ready to put some real pressure on policy-makers to protect North Queensland's rivers, including the iconic Burdekin River.
To kickstart this campaign, we need your help to raise some funds! We are asking our supporters to join a fundraising team and ask your friends and family to donate via our Chuffed.org page. Then, to wrap it all up, your team will participate in a whimsical swim-a-thon on Saturday 20 March at Kokoda Memorial Pool in Mundingburra.
Undecided about starting a team? Not sure what's involved? We've answered some frequently asked questions below.
How many people should be on my team?
- 3-5 people is the ideal team size for the swim-a-thon, but there is no limit to how many people can help you fundraise!
How much money is my team expected to fundraise?
- We'd love to see each team raise $1,000 for the cause - which is just $250 each for a four-person team! Don't underestimate how much your friends and family will support a cause when they see that it is close to your heart.
Where do I sign up my team and do I need to lock in a team name when I sign up?
- You can sign up your team here. It takes less than a minute (once you've chosen a quirky profile photo and team name!). You can change your photo or team name at any time, so don't let that elusive perfect name hold you back from getting your fundraising started!
Can I show my support without joining a team?
- You can still support our fundraiser by making a donation to one of our fundraising teams. To increase your impact you can also share the link to our chuffed page with your networks and encourage others to donate too! Spectators are also welcome to come along to the event and cheer on our participants on the day!
Where and when is the Swim-a-thon?
- We have booked out the whole space at Kokoda Memorial Pool in Mundingburra, from 1pm on Saturday 20 March.
Do I have to be a strong swimmer?
- No! Bring along whatever personal flotation devices you like. You won't be forced to swim laps or suffer. Fundraising should be fun!
What kind of aquatic activities can I expect on the day?
- There will be team challenges and games. If there's a particular challenge or game you'd like to see on the day, get in touch with your suggestions!
Can't see your question? Comment below or email Crystal at [email protected] to find your answer!
In March this year, we are joining Mackay Conservation Group's "Swim for Our Rivers" fundraiser, to kickstart the next phase of our campaign to protect the future of the iconic Burdekin.
You are invited to register a team and help us fundraise in the lead up to our exciting Swim-A-Thon on Saturday 20 March at Mundingburra's Kokoda Memorial Pool! Got questions? Check out our FAQ page!Read more
2020 may be remembered for a lot of bad things, but if there is one memory that sparks joy and laughter when we look back on this time, we hope it is our infamous Annual Fundraising Trivia Night!Read more
On Friday the 21st of June, NQCC celebrated our biennial Fundraising Postcard Art Auction for 2019!
Approximately fifty art/environment lovers attended the event at Umbrella Studio (Townsville City), where each of the seventy works generously donated by artists from near and far were auctioned off for prices ranging from $10 to $105. The pieces were postcard-sized (though some were a little larger) and environment-themed. This event saw our five-week long exhibition, titled "Insights Into Our Environment" come to an end. Luckily for you, the artworks are still available to peruse in our online gallery.Read more
Sweet Country is the first of our new series of monthly movies. Click on the link for more information.
Coal. Sugar. Reef. Magik.
The postcard art auction is a creative and fun way of raising much-needed funds to enable NQCC to maintain the struggle to protect our precious environment.
After an extended exhibition period (27 Jan – 5 March), all art works will be auctioned (3 March), with funds going to support the work of NQCC.
Please consider a creative contribution!
We also invite artists and supporters to submit new logo ideas for NQCC. We prefer to include an iconic local species, like the snubnose dolphin, and return to our colours of green and ochre. There will definitely be a prize for the best logo idea!
Artworks and logo ideas are due by 20 January 2017.
Deliver to NQCC, 114 Boundary St, Railway Estate, or
Mary Who? Bookshop 414 Flinders St
Please include entry form
The exhibition opens on 27th January, auction is 3 March 2017.