To me, there is nothing more energising than working with others towards a common cause.
Much of our work is possible thanks to collaborative relationships, which tend to culminate into powerful collective action! We have been privileged to work with some incredible organisations and individuals lately, as you will see below.
Our subcommittees and volunteers have also been hard at work behind the scenes, allowing us to punch well above our weight as the voice for the environment in North Queensland!
There are plenty of opportunities to Take action! in this edition, so I hope that you enjoy the read and take a moment to add your voice or sign up where you can.
Thank you as always for your support! I hope you enjoy this edition of Paperbark as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
- Crystal, NQCC Coordinator
In this edition:
- NQCC Updates:
- Protect Channel Country
- An EPA for Queensland
- Townsville Listening Launch
- Green Drinks
- In Other News
- Upper Burdekin Wind Farm
- Winchester South Coal Mine
- Our Islands, Our Home
- Power Together
- Container Refund Scheme
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Coastal Dry Tropics Landcare
- The Smart Coffee Project
Protect Channel Country
Last month, the Western Rivers Alliance and the Lake Eyre Basin Traditional Owners Alliance brought together Traditional Owners, scientists and graziers in Townsville to share their experiences of why the Channel Country is so precious and in need of protection - particularly from oil and gas fracking.
This was a special opportunity to learn, share and get involved in the campaign, and an event that we were proud to support.
Take action!Sign and share the petition below, connect with the Western Rivers Alliance and the Lake Eyre Basin Traditional Owners Alliance or reply to this email if you would like some tips on writing to Resources Minister (and Townsville MP) Scott Stewart.
Queensland Urgently Needs An EPA
This Earth Day, we were raising the heat on the Queensland Government to progress their promise to investigate an EPA for Queensland. You may have heard us on ABC radio or seen us on social media! Big thanks to those who joined us for our EPA Day Picnic at Soroptimist Park (pictured).
A consultation report was prepared late last year, but still hasn't been presented to Cabinet for a decision. If this doesn't happen soon, there won't be enough time to implement an EPA in this term of government - which is what we want!
Take action! Tell Queensland's cabinet ministers why Queensland needs an EPA in a social media post, tagging your State MP and using the hashtag #QldEPA. Our media release may provide some good prompts!
Townsville Listening Launch
This week has seen the Townsville Community Alliance come to life, with 50 locals attending our Listening Launch on Wednesday night!
Almost 20 organisations were represented, including environment, community, faith, unions and First Nations. Together, we committed to listening to over 400 stories in our organisations over the next six weeks. This is huge! These stories will allow us to better understand the pressures facing members of our community, including members and supporters like you!
Take action! Join our Listening Campaign by following the link below and selecting the relevant option. We'll be in touch with opportunities as they arise!
We're happy to announce that our April Green Drinks was one of our liveliest yet! More than 20 like-minded locals met in the Burger Garden at Grill'd, where we shared stories and delved deep into all kinds of conservation topics.
We were especially thrilled to host the team from the Dry Tropics Partnership for Healthy Waters. We suspect they'll be back soon!
Take action! RSVP to our next Green Drinks on Friday 26 May at Grill'd in South Townsville and join our Facebook group for updates and general chatter.
IN OTHER NEWS
- Apple have pulled out a deal with the Upper Burdekin Wind Farm (Guardian story here), amid concerns for the biodiversity that would be impacted by the project. See our response on Channel 7 News and our submission to their Public Environment Report.
- Whitehaven's Winchester South coal mine would cause irreparable damage to water and land, and contribute significant greenhouse gas emissions (as depicted on The Australia Institute's Coal Mine Tracker). Sign the petition from Lock the Gate, calling on Premier Palaszczuk and Federal Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek to refuse the project.
- The Our Islands Our Home petition has been delivered to Treasurer Jim Chalmers. Send a letter to support the call for sea wall funding to protect communities in the Torres Strait Islands from rising sea levels.
- Power Together is a recently-launched coalition of over a dozen community groups advocating for a suite of policies to tackle the cost of living and climate crisis in Queensland. Visit their website to learn more and take action!
- Queensland's Container Refund Scheme will be expanded from 1 November this year to include glass wine and spirit bottles, following strong community support for the expansion.
Keen to meet new people and make a difference? The following organisations are currently in need of volunteers...
Coastal Dry Tropics Landcare Inc.
Spend some time in nature with good company at one of several Landcare sites around town!
Help an enthusiastic team collect used coffee grounds from cafes and prevent them from going to landfill!
North Queensland Conservation Council
Write letters, assist with events, help us fundraise or join our Listening Campaign!
Do you have something you'd like to see included in our next edition of Paperbark? Reply to this email!
Thank you for helping us to promote and protect North Queensland's environment!
North Queensland Conservation Council
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter